Interestingly enough, the questions you ultimately want answers to ask (start time, finish time and work time) about your upcoming home improvement project are not necessarily the first questions you should ask of new home improvement contractors. Sounds strange, doesn’t it?
The National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) recently published the answer to the question, “What are the most asked questions of you, by a homeowner, when calling to discuss a new home improvement project?”
The top 7 questions people ask home improvement contractors were:
- When can you start?
- When will you be finished?
- What time will you knock on my door each morning?
- What time will you quit for the day?
- Are you going to work every day?
- Can you finish before (major holiday or significant family event)
- How much will it cost per square foot?”]
While these questions are definitely important, the answers won’t tell you much about a particular remodeling contractor. In order to find out more about a contractor and ensure that you will be comfortable with them working on your home, NARI recommends a homeowner asks these questions before signing a remodeling contract:
Questions you SHOULD ask home improvement contractors are:
- How long have you been in business?
- Who will be working on the project and are they employees or subcontractors?
- Does your company carry workers compensation and liability insurance? (Always verify this information by calling the agency and verify the expiration date)
- How many projects like mine have you completed in the past year?
- May I have a list of references from those projects?”]
NARI points out that doing home repairs and remodeling can be fun experiences, all you need to do is ask the questions that homeowners do not ask enough of.
Are you a handy man or home repair professional and can offer advice about the right questions to ask or are you a homeowner who wishes you would have asked the right questions, comment below and help other homeowners out!